[Nobbc] 10 years old!

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:43:00 MDT 2011

  Folks,

I know Betty's sentiments have been stated by others in the past, and
it's true - our events are typically pretty much romping drives, often
with minimal focus on comfortable destinations or extended social events
or restaurant lunches.To be fair, that is not always the case, as we
also do make stops at cafes, wineries, and more casual restaurants.
Being a very loose group, we are pretty spontaneous with our drives.

However, I have also seen greater attendance at our drives that are
pre-planned, on better roads, and with destinations where we can
socialize a bit more than at the start of the drive, and sit together
for lunch. I think that is much of what has made the WCC popular,
particularly with some of the drivers of cars that are either (use your
own adjectives) - more sedate/valuable/larger/less sporty, etc.

It's probably safe to say that an NOBBC drive will be less well
organized, more spontaneous, on somewhat rougher roads, at somewhat
higher speeds, and with more casual destinations (and at lower cost).
That actually appeals to many members. But there are also the
pre-planned events such as Dawson's Valentine's Day drive, drives that
have ended at John and Julia Kenner's place where we have a wonderful
BBQ, even one or two of the drives Trish and I have led in the past, as
well as destination drives thanks to the efforts of other members.

It would be nicer if people like Betty didn't feel excluded from our
group due to drive experiences that are not to their liking, since NOBBC
drives really are quite diverse, and there will always be enjoyable
events for those looking for a bit more comfort at a bit less speed. So,
I have a proposal:

Whenever possible, perhaps it would be more helpful to communicate our
ideas for drive routes and destinations ahead of each drive, and do a
better job of characterizing the road surface/speed/windiness conditions
ahead of time, so people can decide whether that particular drive is for
them. For example, I agree with Ron that British cars were designed for
British roads, but I've spent time in England, and our roads tend to be
less well maintained, and have more elevational changes, particularly in
Sonoma and Napa Counties. Ask some of the big Jag owners how happy they
are about their brakes at the end of some of our steeper routes, for
just one example.

Let me give it a shot with the route(s) that Ron has tentatively planned
for the anniversary drive:

The Fisk Mill Cove destination is a rugged, beautiful oceanside picnic
destination, with a high bluff (windy, cool) observation area where some
people can eat lunch, but with no centralized location for everyone to
sit and socialize together. It is a bit of a hillside scramble to the
bluff, so not appropriate for everyone, or those in nice shoes or
clothes. It's beautiful, but mostly appreciated by those who like
outdoor activities.

Meeting at Warm Springs Dam means the drive will appeal most to those
members in Sonoma County, since it's a bit of a drive to get there, and
a longish drive to Fisk Mill Cove and back home.

Skaggs Springs Road has some great curves and scenery, but also potholes
and blind turns, and steep sections. There are some very fast sections,
which is why it appeals to the fast motorbikes and fast cars.

King Ridge Road is very narrow, slower, more scenic (if that can be
believed), steeper, and longer, but in my opinion, with a slightly
better road surface.

Neither route is anywhere near as long as the typical REME drives, which
last for hours and hours, but it seems most of us with 40-50 year old
cars don't want to subject ourselves or the cars to long, grueling
drives that new MINIs take in stride (including myself). Nevertheless,
it is the anniversary drive, so is intended to be longer, with more
striking scenery along the way. Be prepared with a full tank of gas,
brakes in good condition, a good spare tire, tools, warm clothes, and a
picnic lunch. You might even want to bring a light folding camp chair if
there's no room at tables.

If this more strenuous drive does not appeal to you, please voice your
opinion and ideas for other routes and destinations so the NOBBC can be
more inclusive, and not drive people away.

Best to you all,
Greg Tatarian