[Nobbc] MGA Oil quantities.

Liam O'Flaherty liamof at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 19 19:33:29 MDT 2010

Hi Mark,
The engine oil discrepancy may be due to the fact the new  oil filter was not
full of oil.  I know you have the canister type which seems to hold at least a
pint itself.  Try running it and then check the oil level again and it may
need another quart.   my dipstick hits the bottom also.  Also my mga workshop
manual says 9 us pints not 9.5 pints

The rear end is puzzeling.  I figure the car was level when you filled it.
The oil should fill up the diff in the middle and run down each length of axle
tube to  the hub bearings.  Also, my mga manual says it takes 2.7 US pints
(General Data page 6, Capacities) not 3.25 US pints as you stated.  Maybe run
it and check the level again.  Maybe there is some air trapped inside.

Are you using the MGA Workshop manual?  or another publication.  I purchased
mine in 1980  but maybe they changed some of the stuff in it in the recent
editions?

My mga is down due to losing a chunk of my #2 exhaust valve.  I am having JNW
Engine and Machine in Santa Rosa work on my back up head (1622).  Hopefully I
will be on the road again soon.

Happy Trails,

Liam

On Oct 19, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Mark Darley wrote:

> Andy and Ron,
>
> The oilpan is not significantly dented, and yes my dipstick seems to hit
bottom. I guess I will just keep an eye on it.

> Also my oil pressure seems a bit higher.  It used to run about 40 at
tickover and 60 when on the highway at speed. Now it seems to want to stay
closer to 60. I am putting that down to denser oil as it is so new, and I
expect it to drop a bit. I used Valvoline 20-50 V1.

> Any suggestions as to the discrepancy on the rear axle? I fill it using a
hose with a funnel on a light stand above the car.  When it won't take any
more I stop and let the excess drain out from the filler plug hole.

> Mark
>
> Mark Darley
> markdarley at mac.com
> Mobile Phone 415 310 5252
>

> On Oct 19, 2010, at 5:04 PM, andy preston wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark, mine takes 4.5 quarts including the filter and I don't have a
>> dented oil pan; although I used to.  My dipstick touches the bottom of the
>> oil pan when it's pushed all the way down, I wonder if it should; that
would
>> account for the difference between ours and Rons.
>>
>> Andy

On

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/nobbc/markdarley@mac.com