[Nobbc] Mark's gearbox

andy preston andypreston at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 18:26:01 MST 2010

Mark, I'm in all day tomorrow on Tuesday, and will be driving down to San
Rafael on Wednesday so perhaps one of those days will work.  I'm also going
on The Saint Patrick's day tour on Thursday that starts in San Rafael at
11:00.

Regarding gearbox oil there are 2 camps, the one says use 30 wt and the
other recommends 20/50. I had a very sluggish O/D on my B GT which took a
long time to engage when the engine/gearbox was cold.  I filled the gearbox
and O/D with ATF and left it in there for over a couple of years and the O/D
worked fine with the thinner oil.  I replaced it recently with the
recommended 20/50 and it still works great.  Whatever sludge was in the O/D
was cleaned out by the ATF.  You could try ATF in your gearbox as a trial
and see if it makes any difference; it didn't seem to affect the performance
of the gearbox at all.

Andy

707 795 3480