[Nobbc] Mark's gearbox

andy preston andypreston at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 18:40:36 MST 2010

Mark, I started a new thread because your gearbox was getting lost in the
tech session one.  I agree with Greg that if your gearbox has done 50,000
miles it's just tired, but is probably ok for many more miles before needing
a tear down.  I like the idea of changing the oil, that might help a bit.
The syncros are probably worn which is why changing up or down is fairly
stiff.  Double de-clutching will help going both up and down the box.  I'd
try and avoid the 3rd. to 2nd., as much as possible.  Unfortunately there's
no magic silver bullet here; the only way to fix it is with a complete
rebuild or another gearbox.  I've done a couple of MGB boxes before and if
and when you decide to do it will be pleased to help you.  In the meantime
I'd be more than happy to test drive your car and you can drive my early MGB
which has the same gearbox except for the rear extension.  I've rebuilt the
box on the B so you can also see how a new box feels.  You can also drive
the Coupe but that has a Ford Sierra 5 speed which is completely different,
and that has a notchy first to second change.

Andy