[Nobbc] Update on Tech Session

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:34:42 MST 2010

Tim,

With respect, I would not look towards the layshaft or layshaft bearings
as the first most likely cause for gear clashing. This is based on the
noise commonly associated with worn layshaft bearings or layshaft,
present either in one or two gears, or sometimes in all. Also, synchros
will generally wear more rapidly than the layshaft or its bearings,
unless the 'box was run low on oil.

While I agree with your observation that a worn layshaft or bearings
will cause gear misalignment, Mark did not cite those symptoms, only
gear clashing between 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure that an MGA 'box is
immune to this in the first place; the Alfa gearbox is known for early
wear on 2nd gear synchros and constant need of slow and stately shifting
in order to save the synchros. My experience with MGB's is that they
synchros never last that long anyway. It might simply be that Mark's
'box is not really defective, just a typical 50k mile MGA box that's
getting a bit worn... hopefully Ron or someone else can weigh in on this.

It is always possible that a change in gear oil can minimize clashing (I
bought myself a few months by switching to Redline MTL before finally
yanking and rebuilding the 'box in my Lotus). If the 'box does have
problems, I'd still lean towards worn synchros first, but not discount
the other possible causes I mentioned in my earlier email. I do agree
with you that if the 'box is truly in need of synchros, it doesn't make
sense to fix or replace only those parts, which are readily available
and not that expensive. A full rebuild can be a painfully costly
exercise for some gearboxes; my Alfa 'box bearings cost 4x more than
those for the Lotus - not to mention the synchros and other parts! I can
do a full rebuild on a Lotus/Ford 2000E box for a few hundred $ in
parts, while the Alfa has me in for $1,000 and I'm not even done yet!I'm
not a professional gearbox mechanic, but I've built 7 of them now, and
have disassembled about 11, and I've found many symptoms to be pretty
diagnostic.

Feel free to correct me, Tim if your experience is more extensive than
mine - I'm always trying to learn more about everything!

Cheers,
Greg