[Nobbc] Update on Tech Session

Mark Darley markdarley at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 19:07:55 MST 2010

Greg,

Sounds interesting. If you can avoid the second saturday in the
month...........

On the topic of gearboxes:

I seem to be having trouble avoiding crunching when shifting down
from 3rd to 2nd (except when really low revs), and getting up through
the gate from 2nd to 3rd seems to be getting stiffer.  (Only driven
500 miles or so since I got it on the road). I double de-clutch from
1st to 2nd but rely on the synch between 2nd and 3rd, at least coming
down. Oil in gearbox is right and fresh.  The car was stored for 4
years before I got it.
Car has about 52,000 miles on it and according the the original
owner, she cannot remember having the clutch or gearbox rebuilt.

Any suggestions as to what the trouble might be?.....hoping it is
simpler than rebuilding the gearbox....

As a new owner, part of the problem is I am not really sure how
smooth the gate should feel.  The MGA I had for 6 weeks in 1974 was a
beater and no guide!

I think I need a volunteer to drive the car and give me feedback.
Any MGA owners up for a test drive in Mill Valley?

Mark

Mark Darley. 58 MGA
markdarley at mac.com
Mobile Phone 415 310 5252