[Nobbc] Andy's MGA Coupe

Norman Weinfeld norman_weinfeld at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 23:34:25 MST 2008

You GO boy. Can't wait to see it!

Norm

From: andy preston
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:03 PM
To: 'North Bay British Car Club'
Subject: [Nobbc] Andy's MGA Coupe

Ron, you asked for an update on my 1960 MGA Coupe restoration.  For those
who don't know about this car, I bought it 2 years ago this Christmas from
some one in Grass Valley.  The car had sat outside in a farmer's field in
Sacramento for about 20 years.  The weeds had grown through the floor boards
to the roof.  It had been home for many small animals for many years.  The
previous owner had "rebuilt" the engine and purchased a complete interior
trim kit with leather seat covers.  I have always loved these cars and had
been looking for one for many months so I thought it was beautiful even with
the no-native plants and animal presents.  I decided to do a complete body
off, nut and bolt restoration.  I must say that the body was relatively rust
free with the major hidden damage being to front right hand front wing.  It
had been in a major front side collision which destroyed the front fender
(covered in bondo) and also bent the frame.  I had the frame straightened
and then sand blasted and painted it with Endrust primer and chassis black.
I've rebuilt all of the suspension with new parts and reinstalled them back
on the frame.  I've rebuilt front the calipers, rear brakes and all the
brakes are now installed.  The wiring harness, fuel pipes and brake pipes
are also new and installed.  With the help on Norm's Auto machine shop we
rebuilt the previously "rebuilt" engine, and this time magnafluxed the
block, installed new camshaft bearings, cleaned all the grinding paste left
in all the oil ways, polished the journals, honed the bores, on and on.
I've bought a five speed gearbox kit from Pierce Manifolds and just
installed it with the engine last weekend.   So the frame is almost complete
just waiting for the transmission tunnel and floorboards, which I'll
probably install this weekend.  I started doing all the bodywork myself but
finally found an expert body guy and painter in Cotati.  He took the body
tub, wings, doors, bonnet and boot and all other items that needed painting.
He stretched both front fenders 3/8" to make them fit, and re-did all the
work that I had done.  He said "who did this body work, it's terrible".   I
reluctantly admitted it was I.  His work is superb.  The body work is all
finished and just waiting for me to put it back on the frame.  The color is
my version of Chariot Red, or what I think Chariot Red should look like.
Brilliant!  I've had all the chrome re-chromed by Chico in Santa Rosa and
his work is great, and fairly reasonable.  Hopefully I'll be able to get the
body back on over Christmas and then it's onto the inside trim.    My goal
is to have it back on the road in the new year.

Andy