[Nobbc] Need Advice w 1953 MG-TD

gtwincams gtwincams at pacbell.net
Mon May 5 06:25:36 MDT 2008

Hi Dawson,
Congratulations! Sounds like a great find. In my view, the mechanical
aspects are usually less daunting than everything else, and thankfully,
MG engines are close enough to American pushrod engines so that most
high-quality mechanics and machinists over 40 can handle the work. I
can't recommend anyone in particular, since I do all my own work. I do
agree with Steve L. that keeping the original engine and drive train is
by far the most advisable approach, both from an historical sense and
for retaining the highest value for the car. Just make sure the seller
gives you all of the parts ("I know it had a crankshaft here somewhere...").
I recommend you get in touch with the local/regional MG clubs and ask
for their recommendations re: rebuilders. To each his marque!
Cheers,
Greg