[Mini] Storing a Mini

Jeff Fenwick jfenwick1 at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 3 11:28:00 MDT 2020

Hope everyone is managing as well as possible in these pandemic times.
Have really enjoyed the flurry of activity on this list recently!

I have decided I won’t be running my “daily driver” Mini this year.
I am fortunate to be able to work from home a lot of the time, and to be honest sometimes a week goes by that I don’t drive at all, and I have to remember to take my Nissan out to knock the rust off the discs after it rains.

When I put the car away for the winter (dry garage), I changed the oil, washed and waxed, put it on stands for a nut-and-bolt check, greased, put 2 teaspoons of oil in each cylinder and cranked over, and disconnected the battery.

Here’s what I thought to do once a month:
- turn the engine and wheels by hand a few revolutions
- steering lock to lock
- operate throttle, brakes, clutch, gearshift and handbrake
- operate all switches
- make brmm, brmm noises while doing this
- trickle charge the battery for a day

What about the petrol? Tank is full and I put in stabilizer but a year from now, I suppose it will not be so good?

Cheers, Jeff