[Mini] Uprated batteries to fit in standard battery boxes..........

Dr John C Bullas john.bullas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:24:56 MST 2018

Ok,

Here are the results of the battery comparison exercise

Thanks to Colin Sutton, Simon Dummett and Nigel Burfoot
for the valuable input!

I thought about an 096 but I made a footplate out of MDF
based on the Tayna dimensions and it wouldn't fit in the box
they deliver 70+Ah and 650+CCA if you can check if one
fits?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Car-Batteries-G30.html
The Standard battery for my 1980 mini is an 038

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Austin-Mini-Car-Battery

typically:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/038-Enduroline-Car-Battery-P8393.html

Capacity (C20)        35 Ah
Capacity (C100) 39 Ah
CCA (EN) 280 A
CCA (SAE) 300 A
Length 245 mm
Width 135 mm
Height inc. terms 200 mm

My 027 [ with 038  values in brackets]

https://www.tayna.co.uk/027-Car-Batteries-G12.html

I just bought one of these
https://www.tayna.co.uk/EB620-Exide-Excell-Car-Battery-027SE-P9720.html

Capacity (C20) 62 Ah (35)
CCA (EN) 540 A (280)
Length 242 mm
Width 175 mm
Height inc. terms 190 mm
Guarantee 3 Years

The largest that fits (Nigel Burfoot's "Badger" has one) is an HSB013

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-5-year-guarantee-hsb013-silver-12v-car-battery

NOTE: this battery is notionally BIGGER than the measurements
I made of my PATTERN battery box interior so CHECK before
you buy one of these!

AH Value: 62Ah (35)
Starting Power (CCA): 620amps (280)
!!!!!  Dimensions (LxDxH): 242x175x190mm

SO either the 027 or the HSB013 (and maybe a 096 might work too?) will
deliver potentially
TWICE the cold cranking current and capacity of the standard battery!

Time to uprate the battery cable and earth straps?

Pip Pip

JB