[Mini] [minElist] MOT here we come! Steering column woes sorted!

Nick W nwelburn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 03:15:23 MDT 2017

Youbve drilled the steering column?!?

I trust youbve stress relieved round the entry and exit with a little taper
and de-burring?

Ibd be pretty wary that you havenbt just added a new piece of quick
release functionality.

Cautious of Cumbria

Sent from my iPhone

<minilist at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> And so...
>
> After having partially sourced the bits to get the steering column and wheel
up and turning (got a inner column and a boss and wheel off of a 1300 saloon
down the road) I revisited the problematic QR boss.

> My neighbour who owns 13 cars and uses a Volvo (snowplough) to store the
spare bits for the other 12) had kindly offered the wheel and boss so I wasn't
totally up Shit Street for next week even if the following work had resulted
in nowt!

> Removing the circlip from the complete assembly I removed the bayonet ring
that pulls back to release the boss from the column, the retaiining spring and
internal ball bearings were also removed to leave the splined inner tube that
fits over the column (albeit with a little slop)

> I had tried, without success to drill through the complete assembly earlier
in the week but now with only the inner tube to drill through, into the column
and out the other side, I moved up a size in drill bit and lined up the holes
in the column and the tube to more reflect the skill of that shown on
Crossrail rather than Meekats of the Serengeti.

> I had bought a selection pack of spring pins (aka roll pins) last week to
try out a fix (that didn't!)

> So with the application of a little bit of #2 hammer (like phaser to stun) I
got a slightly bigger spring pin in place, all the side-to-side movement is
gone and the old column can go back in. Had to trim the spring steel pin down
a wee bit and file off the Memphis Belle type external damage to the tube
caused by the past attempt to  insert the roll pin (Ok so I gave it a pasting
like a ginger step-child, but needs must in the narrow retest window).

> The Astrali boss with horn push (100mm PCD) I got for a song on ebay can go
back up there and so can the replacement steering column!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbullas/albums/72157665517840150
> Posted by: Dr John C Bullas <john.bullas at gmail.com>
Topic	b"	Messages in this topic (1)

> Have you tried the highest rated email app?
> With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app
on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes
(Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with
1000GB of free cloud storage.