[Mini] Uk only: The MOT headlamp aim test is changing

Dr John C Bullas john.bullas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:46:57 MST 2016

The MOT headlamp aim test is changing

There's a new blog post on Matters of Testing about the changes to the way
headlamp aim is measured on the MOT test.

In this blog post, we explain how the headlamp aim test is changing on 24
March 2016. The new method includes some simple changes and you wonbt need
any new testing equipment

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing/

So what are we changing?

The changes will slightly widen the tolerance band for European bEb beams
with headlamp centres up to 850mm. Webre also changing the requirement to
test the bimage breakb point for all European 'E' beams.

1. Horizontal cut-off

The method of checking the aim of the horizontal cut-off is the same. Itbs
only the lower limit for headlamps up to 850mm that has changed from 2.0%
to 2.75%.

A headlamp will now fail if its horizontal cut-off is:

above the upper limit of 0.5%
below the lower limit of 2.75%

2. Dazzle Zone

In the past we've had to find the bimage break pointb and check itbs
within
a very small area of the headlamp beam tester screen. If the bbreak
pointb
was outside of this small box then the headlamp would fail the test. You
wonbt need to check that anymore.

>From 24 March 2016, you need to check for bwhite lightb in the area
formed
by the 0% vertical and the 0.5% horizontal lines for all European 'E' beams.

We've called this the 'dazzle zone' because if a beam is aimed in this area
then itbs likely to dazzle oncoming vehicles. Any white light in this area
would result in the headlamp failing the test.

3. Kick up

Finally, you must still make sure that there is a 'kick up' visible on the
screen if itbs required. Remember that not all headlamps have kick ups,
some have flat tops and some have beam deflectors fitted.

If a kick up is required, it will only fail the test if it isnbt visible on
the screen

--