[Mini] Oil spitting

Anne minilists at mibv.com
Sat Apr 27 19:38:27 MDT 2013

Here is some more information;

The result of the RR done last week, when it wasn't spitting oil as much
yet.
RR result: http://goo.gl/QHvbF

And as you can see, while on the RR black (rich) and grey (no idea :))
smoke came out, not blue or white though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpT_NhzMEEE

If I recall correctly the engine was build in 2000 after the IMM trip.
It's a 1293 with Stage 2 unleaded head (35/29), Hepolite 21253
and Balanced/x-drilled bottom end.
Since then it must have done at the least 85k miles, so yes I was expecting
it to fail at a certain point in time.
As most likely will the gearbox which, apart from the dropgears and clutch,
has been arnoud since 1997 and done close to 240k miles.
I had hoped they wouldn't untill I had had some experience driving with the
charger installed so I would have an idea on what could be an improvement.
Anywhoooo,

We'll do a compression test, and if a leak tester can be sourced also a
blow-by test to see if the pistons/walls/rings are in good order.
Based on the numbers the head may come off to inspect the inside visually.

We'll also try to do a suction test of the carb, while driving.
It shouldn't be to hard to run a tube inside.

Unfortunately it'll have to wait till Monday as the DIY shop is about an
hour from where I live (20min from where Arnoud lives), so I can't hop by
easily to check or work on it.

After doing the tests there most likely will be two choices;

a. cylinders are not in good state

This would mean the mid section (short?) of the engine will need to be
replaced.
Or would I need to consider changing the head at the same time?

Is there an option that would be more suited for a charger, where I might
even do without the decompression plate?
I'm currently at 1293 and would not want to use a bigger bore than that.

b. Change breather setup

This may even be advisable if a. is done.

I can run an additional hose from the dipstickhole and rocker cover and
eventually add one to the mech pump plate a bit like John had on Coo.

The question would be; would I run these to an oil catch tank with an air
tight connection to the carb, as per usual?
Because if the current set up with 1 hose to the carb does not get the
fumes out of the engine fast enough, adding additional tubing but no
additional suction will not change much.

Or will it?

Anne.