[Mgs] HS4 Carbs

dave northrup dave at ranteer.com
Mon May 20 13:27:08 MDT 2024

I have HS4 carbs, newly rebuilt, which I am putting on an early 5 main MGB engine in an MGA.  I'm all set, except the choke mechanism.

A stock MGA cable has the sheath firmly attached to the knob assembly at the dashboard.  It expects the choke to be pulled on by the cable.

The HS4 carbs expect the sheath to move, the cable itself being held stationary at the carbs, while the knob is pulled out.  I'm trying to understand the mechanism.  Is it as simple as a sheath that is not attached at ether end and therefore floats, and changes position moving the choke as the cable is shortened by pulling the knob?

The simplest answer would be to just get an MGB choke cable, which I might do.  But first I want to understand the movement of the sheath, the cable, the knob, and the choke assembly.

Can anyone help me out here?