[Mgs] choke not working

Paul Hunt paulbhunt73 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 03:12:25 MDT 2024

When the choke control is pulled the outer should rise to lift the brass
lever.

That turns the interconnecting rod which rotates the cams on the carbs.

The first part of that rotation (should be about 1/2" of control
movement) bears on the fast idle screw to open the throttle butterfly,
then further rotation pushes the jet lever down for enrichment.

If pulling the control doesn't move the cable outer up to lift the lever
there is probably too much free play.  To set the choke cable I pull the
control about half an inch then pull the cable inner through the
trunnion until the cam is just about to start moving the jets down.  It
might be surprising just how much inner you have to pull through to get
that right.

The other thing is that with the control pulled about half way the lever
should make a right-angle to the cable.  Too low makes it stiff to start
moving and too high means you can't pull the control far enough for full
enrichment.

PaulH.