[Mgs] problems with ground etc

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat May 13 19:36:51 MDT 2023

Dave, --- Likely nothing wrong with either of
those devices, and they should both work okay.

The starter motor draws up to 200 amps at 12
volts, so internal resistance is nearly nil,
something less than 0.06 ohm, and it does look like a short to ground.

The Dymano puts out up to 20 amps at 16 volts
max, working against 12.6 volts open circuit
voltage of the battery, so only a few net s to
drive he current.  So dynamo armature resistance
is also very low. Think how fat the wires are in that armature.

The generator field coils may draw something like
2-amps at 12 volts, so maybe 6-ohms resistance
between the "F" terminal and gound on the housing
(but I don't recall ever measuring it).  Power
input requirement is not much more than a pair of
brake light bulbs, maybe half of the power draw of the ignition coil.

Barney Gaylord
19589 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

www.avg.com