[Mgs] tachometer with electronic ignition

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Jun 26 01:35:42 MDT 2023

I suspect the problem is at the tach itself.  Wired as per that diagram
where the electronic ignition picks up it's 12v supply from the coil +ve
i.e. via the RVI tach is when you can get over-reading, it's always best
to power them from the white at the fusebox where the RVI is concerned.
Ironically it's also best to do that with RB cars even though they have
the later RVC tach due to the lowered voltage at the coil +ve.

However first thing to confirm is that the ignition _is_ being powered
via the RVI tach, and to do that remove either of the white wires from
the back of the tach with the engine running and it should stop.  If it
doesn't then the coil is being supplied from somewhere else and the tach
is being bypassed.  I accept  it may not be easy to get at the tach but
it will have to be done sometime.

If the engine does stop then reconnect it, and check you have 12v on the
spade terminal on the back of the tach (green wire) and an earth going
to the case, which is usually a black wire under one of the knurled
fixing screws, with the ignition on.

If you have both of those then either the tach electronics or internal
connections are faulty, or maybe the needle is stuck.  So before doing
anything else, with the engine revving at about 2k or so give the glass
a sharp rap with a knuckle.

PaulH.