[Mgs] FYI

cgmoog cgmoog at optonline.net
Tue Jul 25 08:15:33 MDT 2023

Rear blowouts are more dangerous than front. Cars have a higher tendency to oversteer during a rear blowout. During the Ford/Firestone issues in the 90's most deaths were from rear blowouts that the driver over corrected causing the vehicle to flip.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com> Date: 7/25/23  9:02 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: mgs at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Mgs] FYI Jay Leno is hardly poor :o)Mine was tubed and I expected it to be shredded, but it just had a cut about 3" long.  One of the spokes had broken, normally they just lose the head in the hub and the pressure keeps the main part in the rim.  This was missing altogether, heaven knows where that went.  A rear tyre, I can't remember what the sensation was when it suddenly deflated at 70mph, but it was so mild I just brought the car to a halt as I normally would.  Rear tyre so may have helped, and passenger side so safer to change on the motorway. Touring fully laden so stuff had to be unloaded.PaulH.On 24/07/2023 17:23, Max Heim wrote:> It just occurred to me that I bought my current tires for my previous > car, which left the premises in 2018, and was in a state of > disassembly for 3 or 4 years before that. So they might date back to > 2014 or even 2012. Still at least 70% tread left and the sidewalls > look fine with no cracking. They have always been parked out of the > sun under a carport with a car cover. I am not too concerned about > sudden failure since they contain inner tubes.>> I did once have an abrupt deflation incident with a previous set due > to highway debris, but didn’t have any trouble keeping the car under > control, and I changed to the spare on the roadside.>> --> Max Heim> '66 MGB>_______________________________________________Mgs at autox.team.netDonate: http://www.team.net/donate.htmlSuggested annual donation  $12.75Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archiveUnsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/cgmoog@optonline.net