[Mgs] Window crank

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 05:14:44 MDT 2022

Hi Mike,
	It’s both adjustment and lubrication that will help.
	Once the door card is out of the way, you can see how the mechanism works. You can also see how the 50-year-old grease is acting more like adhesive than lubricant.
	Here is a chance to ensure that the drain holes in the door are clear, then stuff the bottom with rags and use paint thinner or equivalent to clean all the joints, pivots, crank, gears and all the other little moving bits.
	Have a look at the fit of the glass into the channels. If not about equal top and bottom, adjust the channel.  A bit of silicone spray in them will help, though be careful of overspray.
	Wind the glass up and down until you understand how this unlikely assembly of gears and parallelogram actually moves the glass, the weight of glass supported by the spring.
	Then a spot of oil on the winder’s shaft and the parallelogram pivots, and a little grease on the gears will do the trick.
	I don’t know of any particular things to do other than clean, lubricate and adjust, though I can safely say that a couple of hours on this project will reward you with a window that is much easier to use.
Bob