[Mgs] Two MGs and friends

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 05:41:21 MST 2022

Hello friends,
   Before I comment on my two MGs I'd like to write a few words about a
recent trip. Nancy and I just returned from Portugal on a trans-Atlantic
repositioning cruise. 13 days sailing from Lisbon to Tampa! Whew! But
before that crossing we spent ten days with two of this group's members:
Hans Duinhoven in the Netherlands and Rui Gigante in Portugal.
   I have known both Hans and Rui for over two decades, Hans via this group
and Rui via another group, if now he's also here. Rui I met face-to-face in
Italy in about 1999, and I met Hans and his wife Tineke face-to-face just a
few weeks ago. All are such lovely people. Thank you.
   I have been absent from this group for ages it seems, although I still
read all posts. So here's my update.
   I currently have two MGs. The '53 TD that I restored a few years back,
and a '72 MGB that I'm just finishing 'restoring' to 'driver' status.
   The TD needed a new brake master cylinder which I installed just before
the overseas trip. It works great! So great in fact that it blew out the
so-called seals on one 'new' rear slave cylinder, spilling brake fluid
everywhere. I'll try to refrain from rude comments about the 'new'
cylinder's country of origin but suffice to say, I'm disappointed - again.
   One question for the MG brain trust: Will the gush of brake fluid within
the drum have permanently damaged the new brake shoes' linings, or can the
shoes be washed clean with brake cleaner? Said another way; Should I order
new brake shoes when I order the new slave cylinder?
   The MGB just needs one more brake system bleed since it's all new and a
few air bubbles are almost certainly hiding in obscure places. That's it
for mechanical tweaks. Everything left to do is cosmetic.
   With that all said, et me conclude by saying it's nice to be back
chatting.

Rick