[Mgs] wire wheels vs disks

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Wed Jun 22 10:24:50 MDT 2022

Well, when I had that situation with two MGBs (I wanted to put the wire wheels on the car I was planning to restore, and swap the steel wheels to the car i would dispose of), I swapped the entire suspensions — the third member (rear axle) with leaf springs, and the front subframe with all suspension attached. You wouldn’t have to do the leafs — I happened to know which set was newer. Actually, in this case, the wire wheel suspension had been regularly maintained and had many new parts, and the steel wheel setup had been sitting untouched for possibly 30 years, so it was clear that I wanted all the other components along with the wire wheel hubs. If the situation regarding the condition of the parts had been different, I might have tried to do it piecemeal. But in my case the full swap was the easiest and best way.

--
Max Heim
mvheim at sonic.net