[Mgs] DGV throttle setup

Paul Root ptroot at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:18:40 MDT 2022

My 1977 has been running great this year. I attribute it to using Sea Foam
instead of (old) Stabil. That's a good thing especially for this year. My
car has been a city car for the last 15+ years. But we decided to move this
year, and had a 60 mile move to drive it. I had worried, since I haven't
taken the car on any trips so really didn't know what it would do on drives
more than 20-30 minutes.  Other than being on the freeway at 70 with
today's barely conscious drivers, there was nothing to worry about.

Anyway, a week or two back, my throttle cable broke. It has happened
before, the connecting nut cuts into the cable a bit.   I had enough slack
to move the connector up a few holes on the lever, and adjust the sleeve
all the way in, to get home.   Next day, I went to a bike shop and got a
new brake cable to replace.

I also ordered a 75-76 throttle cable from Moss. That's the one with a
metal connector on the end. I'm thinking that would make a better
connection. Still looking at it.

However, the big issue I'm having is that the brake booster hose connects
to the port on the intake manifold right next to the throttle lever. And
the bolt assembly can rub up against it and catch. Making a basically wide
open throttle stuck.

I have seen pictures of the DGV swapped 180 degrees so the throttle is in
the front of the engine, and the cable would route the other way. Has
anyone done this? How does it work? I have a manual choke, which might be
an issue.

On a side note, I got my newly recovered (Mr Mike's upholstery) Miata seats
(with embroidered MG logos)  installed with new mounting rails (Crate
Parts). They are so wonderful. Not a paid endorser, just a happy customer.
But now it shows how badly I need new carpet.

thanks,
Paul.