[Mgs] how do i tell?

Eric Russell ejrussell61 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 11:11:44 MST 2022

From: dave northrup <dave at ranteer.com>
Subject: [Mgs] how do i tell?

> I am in the process of ordering a 5 speed gearbox for my 59 MGA.
> It has an early 5 main MGB engine.  The vendors are asking which
transmission, flywheel, and
> clutch I have.
>
> How do I tell?  The body is off the car so access is easy.

The picture appears to be an MGA 'high mount' starter version. As for the
clutch, how many dowel pins locate the pressure plate to the flywheel? MGA
clutch has 2, MGB clutch has 3. The MGB clutch (stronger) can be used with
the MGA transmission if one also uses the MGB transmission front cover &
MGB throw out fork. Look for the casting number on the front cover. MGB
cover is #22B55. Clutch disc are all the same diameter but the splined
transmission input shaft can be 10 spline (MGA) or 23 spline (late MGA MK2
& all MGB).

--
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC