[Mgs] Long time, no type...

dave northrup dave at ranteer.com
Tue Aug 23 09:48:59 MDT 2022

Always good to hear from you!

Have you installed speed bleeders?  www.speedbleeder.com<http://www.speedbleeder.com>

From: Mgs <mgs-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Richard Lindsay
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2022 10:24 PM
To: MGs <mgs at autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Long time, no type...

Hello friends,
   I haven't written to anyone here for ages. But I'm sitting at an airport hotel in Seattle, going home in the morning, and thinking about you and my MGB. If interested, let me share more.
   I (mostly) restored my '72 MGB to 'usable status' a year or three ago, then it got too hot so work stopped (I live in Houston.), then the COVID pandemic hit, AND other projects slipped ahead of it. Sigh...
   Work began again in ernest about a month or so ago. But given Houston's 100°F summer temperature, I could only work for an hour or two each morning. Then we took a short cruise and - you guessed it - Nancy and I both got COVID. So work haulted again but we recovered and MG work recommenced.
   I rebuilt the fuel system, replacing the fuel pump with a proper low pressure pump. New alcohol-safe rubber hoses went on with new hose clamps. And I removed the Weber 32/36DGV and put the twin SUs back on. I had rebuilt them a bit earlier. Short end to this bit of the story is that the engine now starts easily and runs great. Its carbs are only 'static tuned' so far but a nice, warm engine idle is already possible. Next step, the dynamic tuning. I really enjoy that bit. Then the air cleaners go back on. But wait! There's more.
   After rebuilding the fuel plumbing I added a couple of gallons of premium petrol to the tank only to discover a drip, drip, drip. The fuel tank is new but the fuel level sender seal has perished...or perhaps the retaining ring isn't adequately tightened. So once I get back home, I'll pump the fuel back into the fuel jugs so I can open the sender's seal. Waiting in the mailbox at home is a new seal AND a new retaining ring. I don't want to risk the old ring being bent or rusty.
   Also in the fun queue before the interior cosmetic restoration recommences, is bleeding the brakes again (all the cylinders and calipers are new), reinstalling the cover over the pedal-to-master cylinders, and readjusting the brake light switch.
   I also have a new Al radiator to go on. The OEM radiator is plugged and quite inefficient. That's in the queue too.
   Yeah, lots of fun to be had all before temperatures in Houston fall low enough to permit comfortable, open air motoring. I'll save you the descriptions of the cosmetic work remaining to be completed. But suffice to say, it's mostly panels, a bit of refinishing, a seat diaphragm or two, and a top.
   Thanks for reading. I'm happy to be back in touch.

Rick Lindsay, on America's South Coast