[Mgs] No Turn Signals

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 21 04:25:25 MDT 2022

Doesn't have to be 'Chinese', Lucas green boxed items are no better
unless you can get NOS.

Replacement hydraulic brake light switches have been bad for a long time
now as internally they are completely different to the originals that
had self-cleaning contacts.  When my roadster original failed after
about 40 years the replacement lasted barely a year before the lights
became intermittent and dim.  I got that replaced and have used a relay
in the circuit ever since and no more problems.  Subsequently I fitted a
mechanical switch to get the benefit of the lights coming on as soon as
the pedal started moving instead of having to wait until pressure
started building in the hydraulics.

However North American spec cars from Mk2 onwards used a mechanical
switch on the pedal cover.  The only problem I've heard about with those
is not being crimped together tightly enough and they spring apart, but
only one report.  The contacts seem fine. RHD didn't get those until
rubber bumpers, and my almost certainly original V8 item is still good
(so far!) after nearly 50 years.

PaulH.