[Mgs] MGB rear brake questions

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Oct 24 03:57:29 MDT 2021

The GT originally had the same wheel cylinders as the roadster, changing
in May 68 for the larger item which can take more braking effort without
locking up in the wet.  Incidentally the factory V8 used the smaller
ones, presumably because with the harder springs there was more chance
of locking up over bumps.  You are unlikely to notice the difference on
dry tarmac.  Rather than describe them the two types can be seen here
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/brakecyl.htm#3

The purpose of Speedbleeders is to allow single-handed pedal bleeding of
hydraulic systems, but they are pretty expensive for what they are and
the number of times they are used.   They contain a spring-loaded valve
which is normally bolted down tight, but when bleeding you slacken them
off so that only the spring is keeping the valve closed.  Then when you
press on the pedal fluid pressure opens the valve to let air/fluid out,
and when releasing the pedal they close again to stop air going back
in.  I've always used EeziBleed.

Regardless of which method you use to get air out I've always found that
after low pressure bleeding they are spongy and it needs to be done with
high pressure that does need two people. One presses down on the pedal
as hard as they can while the other rapidly opens and closes each
caliper nipple in turn, which always blasts a bit more air out, after
that they are fine.  The front of the car needs to be a bit higher than
the rear as well.

PaulH.