[Mgs] 1980 MGB engine removal

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Sun May 16 18:38:12 MDT 2021

   I have assisted in engine-only engine removal, and know those who have done it both ways.   I have done only engine&gearbox together, a one-person job.
   If friend really can remove all bolts, then the engine is slid forward off the input shaft to the gearbox, taking car that gearbox and engine are on the same plane, else clutch disc gets bent..   Installation requires similarly careful alignment.
   To do engine & gearbox together, it is not necessary to remove carpet, and I have seen it done with console sections left in place.   Gearshift lever is held in with three bolts, easily accessible after the knob, boot and the chrome ring are removed.