[Mgs] Brake shoes

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:05:21 MDT 2021

Tom,
   MGA brakes are pretty darn good.  They will stop the wheels, and quickly. You should be able to lock up all four brakes (carefully) at any speed on any road surface.   While it is possible to overheat them (fade), it’s not something you are likely to do in everyday driving.
    If you want to feel fade, stop hard from 60 mph, accelerate to 60 again and stop hard again, several times.  You will feel some loss of braking g-forces on the third or fourth stop, but that doesn’t happen in normal driving.
    I would suggest going over them completely, replacing all three rubber hoses, flushing with new fluid, filling and bleeding.  Have a look at the shoes and their adjusters.
   Believe it or not, I had a TD in my garage recently that had one front brake set up with two leading shoes, as built, and one set up with two trailing shoes, as bodged by the mechanic who replaced the brakes.   You didn’t think that could be done.....It can be.....
    Further, he had turned up the nuts on the hand-brake lever. Handbrake worked wonderfully well, locking up the rear wheels with two clicks,  but the service brake was doing nothing.
   MGA brakes were good when new, and should be just as good these days.
Bob