[Mgs] Alternator Mounting

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Jun 12 02:10:13 MDT 2021

There are more spacers between the front eye and the mounting bracket than I would expect to see, different alts seem to need different thicknesses to get the alt pulley square to the water pump pulley which is the criteria.  The sliding tube in the front eye is at it's fullest extent so there may be some bending stresses on the eyes, but slackening the bolts through the rear bracket to the block may take care of that.  Fan belt looks wide but 10900 is the correct size for all but the latest CBs and the RBs.

If the belt is slack it would normally spin on the alt pulley with a shriek rather than the crank or pump pulleys so cooling shouldn't be affected, but if it's loose then you need to check the adjuster link under the alt and see if it is at its fullest extent or not.

  Look at the picture.  This alternator is in my 1969 MGB GT.  It is charging OK, but the engine is running hot.  I tried today to tighten the fan belt which was way too easy to turn by hand without moving the belt.  I could not tighten it enough to stop the fan from slipping.  It looks jury rigged to me, but I have no other examples to go by.  By the way, the engine is from a 67 B according to the serial number.