[Mgs] Running hot

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 11:40:24 MST 2021

Hi Rick,
   Those of us shivering at 9 degrees this morning, with a wind blowing, almost wish we had your problem.
   Same temp at radiator neck and ‘stat housing suggests that the thermostat is working, though if you have any doubt about it and do not know its age, you might consider replacing it anyway.
   Were you able to measure top/bottom, left/right the radiator core temperature? If temp does not reduce from top to bottom, or there are different temps at the same distance down from top, you could suspect the radiator.    I have not had stellar success with radiator cleaning products. My recommendation is to take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and serviced.
   If you wanted to try a cleaning product, you know there is a mess about to happen, so first take a garden hose and flush the heater, shielding the distributor first.  A surprising amount of sediment is often found in the heater, usually more than is in the radiator. Re-connect the hoses and use whatever your nearby auto parts shop suggests.
   What do you know about this water pump? Chances are that original has been replaced at least once, and there are different qualities of replacements.  If, when your bring up engine temp from cold, with the rad cap off, you do not see some swirling in top of the radiator, the water pump is suspect.
   Last week, before the weather turned bitter, some of us were invited to check out a 1978 MGB with two HIFs installed. Engine was smooth at idle, baulky at acceleration with no load, stalled at acceleration when in gear.  HIFs were balanced, piston-lift test was OK, spark plugs showed good mixture, timing was what the label said it should be. Hmmm. Distributor advance was OK too.  Double hmmm.   Answer: Car was gift to new owner by wife, who had not driven it.  DPO had ‘tuned’ engine, but set the distributor to the marks —- with vac hose connected.  We disconnected the hose, plugged the manifold connection, rotated distributor about 25 degrees to test, and it fired right up. Set per specs, the engine purred.
Bob