[Mgs] Fuel Pump?

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Jan 11 01:29:15 MST 2021

Could be several things, but unless it was pumping fuel onto the ground it's more likely to be associated with the pump itself.

An air leak on the suction side is unlikely to seal itself again, for more than a couple of minutes anyway.  A blockage does allow the pump to pump more rapidly than when pumping fuel, but not as rapidly as when it's not pumping fuel for other reasons e.g. valve stuck open or pumping air.

As the idle dropped, and only cut out a minute or so later, the implication is that the fuel supply was greatly reduced, not cut off altogether at the outset.

It could be the one-way valve in the pump inlet allowing fuel to be pushed back towards the tank instead of the carbs, possibly dirt although there should be filters there - in an original SU anyway.

A delivery check is the thing to do, remove a pipe from a carb, direct it into a container and turn on the ignition.  It should deliver a minimum of one Imperial pint per minute, and in practice double that, in a continuous stream of pulses with minimal bubbling.  Bubbling especially variable implies a suction side air leak, without that hesitation with the pump speeding up implies the valve is not sealing.

  The fuel pump on my 69 GT started pumping furiously like I was running out of gas while stopped halfway through the line.  The car was still running.  I got up to the first window to pay and the idle dropped to less than 500 rpm.  In a minute or so later the engine just quit.  There is over a half tank of gas in the car.  I tried starting it several times, but it would just fire and die.  After several attempts the car started again, all the while the fuel pump was going like mad.  After getting out of the line the fuel pump slowed down like normal and you did not hear it after what I assume was a full float bowl.  No issues going home the 4 or 5 miles.  Does that sound like my fuel pump is going out or the tank pickup is clogged?