[Mgs] Turn Signal Stalk

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 15:41:43 MST 2021

Hi Mike,
   It is supposed to be self-cancelling, though that does require about 1/4 turn of the steering wheel to engage the cancelling mechanism.
   If you remove the steering column cover, a bit of a trick in itself, you will see from the left the steering column.  On it should be a black spring clip that has a squared bump shape.  That bump should be on same plane as the “C” shaped plastic claws on the turn signal control.  With wheels straight ahead and the steering wheel centred, that bump should be mid-way between the two claws.
   The way it is supposed to work is that when the turn lever is set for turns, the spring clip, as it swings around on the column, contacts one of the C claws, dislodging it from where it is parked, and the system cancels.
   On most roads in CT, the radius of turns at intersections is great enough that the self-cancel does not engage.  I put an inexpensive beeper into the circuit at the flasher unit, as the little indicator lights are dim.
  Some have fitted brighter LEDs in place of the signal indicators. Having bloodied myself sufficiently when installing LEDs into the instruments, I will leave the signal indicators to some distant time in the future when I might have the dashboard out.
  It’s my opinion that the easiest way to address your question is to ensure that the cancelling device is set properly and to install a sound-making device/beeper, then to appreciate that our roads are wider and intersections built with greater radius than those in the UK when these cancelling devices were thought to be an improvement over the pneumatic, time-sensitive devices used in TDs, TFs and MGAs.
Bob