[Mgs] Replacement alternator

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 22 03:59:21 MDT 2021

Yesterday on a friend of a friend's CB MGB. A 'universal' 16/17/18ACR of 55 amps output and a new belt of the same number that came off - 10900. The only way the belt would go on was by fitting it before the mounting bolts! With the body sitting on the engine mount there is still at least 1/2" of movement in the adjuster that can't be used, and with everything installed the adjuster has barely moved from the minimum position.

Two other people on the MGOC forum found the same thing, so I suspect the body on these is fatter. One was offered alternative belts of 10925 and 10950 but not unsurprisingly at the time stayed with the original. Maybe the 10925 would be a better bet, I was aware of the 10950 for late RBs but felt that might be too big.