[Mgs] B/GT electrical problems

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:55:47 MDT 2021

  The line voltage stabiliser is common to both Tach and Fuel gauge, and is always suspect. They do, however, tend to last many years (unless they don’t).
   What I would do first is to ensure that both wires on the coil are secure. One excites the tach, and if the connection is dodgy the tach can be erratic.  Also check the fuses, as they are frequent suspects too, though unlikely in this case.  Loosen, then tighten, the screw securing the stabiliser to the bulkhead. Good connection for earthing is important.
   WIth an old-style, needle-type analogue voltmeter, check the output voltage of the stabiliser. Awkward to get at, but it must be tested in the car. Voltage will vary, if it is the original points-type stabiliser, swinging the needle up and down the scale, but you are looking for a mid-point average of 10V.  If yours is the newer type, electronic, it should be steady at 10V.
   Because the temp jumped as it did, I would recommend that you also use an infrared thermometer to check actual temp at the thermostat.  They can fail unpredictably.
Bob