[Mgs] Temp Gauge

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:40:23 MDT 2020

   There are two methods I have used.
   Drive around until the gauge shows whatever normal is for your car, but do this with the rad cap loose so there is no pressure building.  Leave engine running and remove the cap, immersing a kitchen “candy” thermometer into the liquid.  You will then be able to associate needle position with a known temperature.
   Drive around and get everything warm, then use an infra-red thermometer, about $30 at Harbour Freight, taking temp of the thermostat housing and radiator top tank.  This will also help you to associate a point on the gauge to the thermometer reading.
  The IR thermometer has additional value, in that you can shoot it all around the radiator front side, checking that temp is equal side-to-side.  Bottom should be a bit lower than top, because the cooled water is moving down, and with this you can see how it happens.
Bob