[Mgs] Brake filaure

Eric Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Wed May 6 12:28:44 MDT 2020

I mean no offense but brakes are rather high on the List of Important
Things. I am 100% in favor of owners working on their own cars but I
also get somewhat leery of giving advice about Important Things via
typed words over the interwebs. (and that is not even taking
misspellings into account...)

That said, the loss of a measureable volume of brake fluid over the
winter would indicate a leak somewhere. It must be found and rectified
(that List of Important Things thing). My general rule is that when part
of a brake system fails all the other parts are soon to follow. You can
replace parts one item at a time but don't be surprised when another
part fails soon afterwards (see: List of Important Things). So... unless
you find a reasonable reason for one part to have failed while leaving
all the other parts are in perfect shape (Important Things again), it
would probably be prudent to replace all the wearable parts of the
brake's hydraulics in one swell foop. Then, when you're done you'll know
the brakes are in tip top shape.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC