[Mgs] MGB not (re)starting

Steve Shoyer steve at shoyer.com
Tue Mar 10 13:44:34 MDT 2020

Thanks.  I don't think it's the battery.  The battery is about two years
old, and it's been plugged into a battery tender over the winter.  I
didn't have any trouble getting the starter to crank, and I was running
the starter for a while without the battery appearing to run down.

I'll have to test it by starting the car cold, driving it around my
neighborhood for a while, then parking it back in my garage and trying
to restart it after 20-30 minutes.  If it won't start I can pull the
plugs and take a look, and also test the battery to see if it wasn't
holding the charge.  I can also check compression at that point - maybe
the head gets loose when it warms up?

I also thought it might be the coil - I had read that sometimes after
the coil gets warm it can cause intermittent problems.  If that was the
case I'd think the car wouldn't run after being push started, but I'm
far from an expert.  I was just guessing at the carb because I've never
been good at tuning carbs, and it's the last thing I changed on the car.

--Steve

https://www.avg.com