[Mgs] Seat Fittings.

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Tue Mar 3 14:49:03 MST 2020

I am finally addressing the driver's seat in my "new to me" MGB GT.  When I sit in the driver's seat the cushion bottoms out so that I am being jabbed on both sides by the tubular frame.  Not conducive to long distance driving.  The foam in the seat must be original as it has turned brown in exposed areas and is way too soft.  Where I am confused is the seats have cross webbing to support the foam cushion.  According to the catalogs, webbing started in use in 1970 on.  My GT is a 1969 model which should be a rubber diaphragm instead of webbing.  Knowing what I know about the assembly line for MGs and other Brit cars, it is totally possible some 69s got out with the newer seats.  More likely the seats were swapped sometime during the 51 years since it came off the assembly line.  The webbing is installed with aluminum flat bars screwed to the tubular frame.  The webbing is sewn around the aluminum bars.  I don't know if this is a retrofit or original.  I already ordered another foam cushion to replace this old one.  Just wondering if the new foam will be enough to solve the bottoming out problem, or should I have replaced the webbing or even gone back to a rubber diaphragm?  Like to hear from you guys that rebuilt your seats on your own.Mike MacLean69 MGB GT56 Austin Healey BN260 Bugeye

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android