[Mgs] Electrical Nightmare

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Fri Jan 17 03:34:42 MST 2020

I have to say that's exactly what I expected for the tach.

Whilst the other could be an earth problem, it could also be a 12v supply problem.  But there are reasons I won't go into that make a single fault in either of those an unlikely cause, more likely that there are two related problems.

The easiest thing is to diagnose the horn circuit, and see where that takes you.  At the horn terminals you should see 12v on both the purple and purple terminals of the horn, leave all wiring connected to their terminals.  When the horn button is pressed, on a working circuit, the purple terminal will stay at 12v whereas the purple/black terminal will drop to zero volts.

With a non-working horn if the purple drops to zero then the problem lies back towards the fusebox, bad connections at the fuses and the spades are not uncommon.

But if both terminals stay at 12v then the problem lies back towards the horn button.

  After this hollow victory I had to use the horn on the test drive.  Now the horn does not work, but when I push on the steering wheel stalk to activate the horn, the brake warning light comes on.  I just love electrical problems.  Not in my element here.  Any ideas?