[Mgs] FW: Electrical Nightmare

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Thu Jan 16 15:04:03 MST 2020

That’s admirable, but let’s keep this in perspective.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with 50-year-old wiring. The copper is good, and the insulation is usually in pretty good shape, too, except maybe one or two runs in the engine compartment that get pretty hot. The cloth bundling may be ragged, but that has nothing to do with electrical faults.

It’s just corrosion at the junctions, and the physical condition of the female connectors, that are the issues here. Let’s not intimidate the man into thinking he needs to rewire the entire vehicle. Going through the connections is something that can be done a little at a time. Pull one, clean the male leads, smear on some dielectric grease, pop on a new female connector if warranted. They tend to be clustered in a few places — if you pull them one at a time there is less chance of misconnection.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB