[Mgs] convertible top help needed

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Feb 27 01:59:38 MST 2020

You say "the top bows are about 1/4 inch too wide to drop down inside the rear deck".  If you mean the ends of the front bow of the folding top are coming down onto the paint when you try and fold it into the tonneau space behind the seats, that started happening to mine recently after many years without a problem.  The joints in the frame have worn and the supports for the top bow, which should only pivot slightly if at all, started riding up over a stop-block and pivoting much more.  The ends of the front bow should point forwards when the top is lowered, and that should clear the body, and when erected it should be at the same angle as the middle bow.  If it's pointing too far back when erected then when folded the ends come down on the body.  Conversely if it is pointing straight down when erected the ends stick up when folded.  I welded some bigger stop-blocks onto the frame and it's fine now, more info here http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/bodytext.htm#fbow

  I’ve been helping a friend who wants to install a tonneau cover on a 1980 MGB convertible.  We’ve tried to follow the instructions—but the top bows are about 1/4 inch too wide to drop down inside the rear deck, leaving the front corners sticking up—no way can we install a flat tonneau cover!  The top’s being old and stiff is of course no help.  Any suggestions from the list?