[Mgs] FW: dashboard install

dave dave at ranteer.com
Tue Apr 21 11:00:01 MDT 2020

In fact I very much enjoy wiring.  I have built entire wiring harnesses from scratch, carefully following the color scheme.  I will admit on one car I changed it from a 4 fuse system to a 10 fuse system.  Everything had its own fuse and everything was grounded directly.  Never an electrical problem on that car!

I am now restoring 2 mga’s, albeit one at a time.  I will be emulating the factory harness in every way possible, building it from scratch.  That takes a lot of research and questions, and Barney has been extremely helpful.  Get the right color through the right holes, use the connectors in the right places, all a challenge.  Fortunately the one is my reference as I do the other.

And, btw, I didn’t start out to restore 2.  Someone offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse on the second one, which needed a new throw out bearing.  But the paint was wrong and so awful we were going to clean it up.  and then . . . .    shipwright’s disease totally got me.  The wiring was so bad (the DPO pretty much just used red and blue wires) that I cut it out and threw it out.

Today I hope to make some big progress on the chassis (it is half restored, as in the back half), and I’ve got parts hanging in the side yard that I painted this morning.