[Mgs] Stirling Moss Dies.

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Apr 13 03:23:34 MDT 2020

A gent as you say.  His era is my first memory of being interested in cars and motor racing.  The husband of a friend of my mother was really into it with memorabilia all round their house and I was desperately hoping he would take me to a GP one day.  I was gutted when they divorced!  I was at Silverstone many years ago and Sir Stirling was in the middle of a crowd signing autographs.  Couldn't get near him but I managed to perch on a short concrete pillar and get a clear view of his head and shoulders, when he looked up and smiled at me for a moment long enough to get a picture.  I like to think he was giving me the opportunity to take the picture, but maybe he was wondering if I would topple off.

He was at Gaydon for the first public showing of the MGF and the 75th anniversary of Old Number One, and after sitting in the MGF he clambered into the claustrophobic cockpit of EX181 and recounted how, the first time he got in, he hoped that he would never have to get out in a hurry.