[Mgs] armstrong front shock

philip s jones philip.s.jones at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 17:08:43 MDT 2020

Serendipity!  It just so happened that I had planned to be in the garage today, replacing a front shock on my ‘72 GT.  I think the issue I had noticed was actually caused by a missing bolt on the front anti-roll bar; but I’m going ahead with the shock replacement since it’s here and paid for.

I noticed, during disassembly, that the manual calls for a spring washer under the castellated nut on the pin that attaches the shock A-arm to the kingpin.  (If I have the terminology correct).  My car was missing that spring washer.

Is that a reason for concern?  Could it be effectively replaced with a flat washer?  I couldn’t identify an item number for it in the Moss catalogue  . . .

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, especially Paul Hunt.  And thanks in advance for your responses!

Phil