[Mgs] Progress, multi-cars...and OT

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 20:06:23 MDT 2019

Hello Friends,
   A little over a week ago the battery in my LBC exploded, showering me
with acid and leaving me deafened.  Cutting to the chase: I received no
acid burns, thanks to stripping down and dousing myself with water,
followed by a proper shower a few minutes later.
   Partial hearing returned after 10-15 minutes but is still limited and
accompanied by a buzzing ring in one ear. I am under a doctor's care and
will know more as my ears heal.
   The car has been cleaned, decontaminated, and repainted where
necessary.  A new battery is now installed but not yet connected. I want to
clean the connectors again before they go on.
   My '85 Maserati Biturbo is at the independent mechanic where the turbos
are being cleaned, oil hoses replaced, and a new fuel pump and filter will
go in.
   Today the E-Type got new connectors on all the V12's harness wires. And
tomorrow, the car will get new thermostats and coolant.
   Testing revealed that coolant exiting the engine's left bank was 180°F
while that exiting the right bank was 160°F. The implication is that
sometime along the car's history, one of the thermostats was replaced with
a wrong value unit. New 160° hot climate thermostats go in tomorrow, both
banks, followed by refilling with 50:50 antifreeze concentrate, and
distilled water.
   Yea, more information than anyone needs...and mostly off topic.

Rick, in Houston
PS: I promise MG TD content when next I post.