[Mgs] mga radiator

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 11:29:09 MDT 2019

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 10:16:20 AM PDT, dave via Mgs <mgs at autox.team.net> wrote:

> Apparently I’m in the market for a new radiator.  Shop says mine needs
> a new core at $400+  Any recommendations?  I’m thinking that in Dallas
> it makes sense to cross that original line and get an aluminum one, but
> I do have an electric fan so should be ok either way

When I got my MGA restored, the mechanic recommended rebuilding the
original radiator rather then buying a replacement, because the new ones
have fewer "tubes" (whatever the actual term is in radiator-speak) in them
than the originals, so there is less surface area for cooling.  I live in the
Puget Sound area and have never had an overheating problem, but I'd
imagine that in a hot climate the surface area would be even more critical.