[Mgs] Something (or things) leaks - how to locate the source?

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Sat Jun 1 19:17:08 MDT 2019

On Jun 1, 2019, at 4:21 PM, Robert's New iPad <mgbobh at gmail.com> wrote:

Max,
  Sticking some ideas into your list, in hopes that it gets to the fellow who initiated the thread.
Bob

On May 31, 2019, at 1:24 PM, Max Heim via Mgs <mgs at autox.team.net <mailto:mgs at autox.team.net>> wrote:

> Not familiar with all the external plumbing on a 1980, but here are some known sources of leakage, based on a 18GB engine:
>
> OIL
> Rocker cover (extremely common)
   Tighten only gently. More than that bends the cover.
> Side cover plates (very common)
    Accessible from underneath better than from above, though both difficult. 7/16 flat ratchet works, and 1/4” drive sockets work better than 3/8”
> Oil filter
  Hand-tighten. If that doesn’t work, replace the filter.
> Oil filter inverter base/oil cooler hose end fitting
   The bolt that holds on the base for the filter can loosen. A lot of oil blows out here. Accessible from underneath, though awkward.
> Oil pressure hose fitting
  This may be metric, as well as awkward to access
> Engine rear seal (oil draining from the hole in the bottom of the bell housing)
  Be sure the cotter pin is freer to jiggle in the bell housing hole. Pin is there to keep the hole open so that leaked oil can drain before trashing the clutch.
> Engine front seal
  Can be replaced with engine in the car. Radiator must come out.
> Oil pan gasket
  Gently !! On these little bolts.  As Paul said, over tightening these distorts the oil pan, making the leak worse, not better.   If you end up removing the pan, dimple the holes back the other way with ball-pein hammer to get the surface flat again.

> COOLANT
> Lower radiator hose (common)
   Rad connection comes up at an odd angle.  I use a 1/4” long extension with screwdriver handle to tighten the clamp.
> Upper radiator hose
> Heater hoses
    Got wet feet or smell antifreeze?  If it’s not the hoses, the heater core may be leaking.
> Thermostat housing
> Water pump gasket
> Water pump shaft seal
   Water pumps are cheap enough, but there are different pumps for different engines, fans and air pumps.
> Heater valve
    This is a safety feature that generally shorts out the distributor before engine overheats from lack of coolant.   John Twist has a tip about setting the Bowden cable so that valve is just closed, not jammed closed, when the knob clicks off.