[Mgs] Oil Additive

Chris Attias cjattias at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 09:28:50 MDT 2019

Oil technology is changing quickly, with the change in emissions and fuel
economy regulations and the redesign of newer engines.  Additive packages
are now designed for engines that run hotter, have tighter tolerances, and
must be cleaner to preserve catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. It's
easy to think in terms of individual brands that have "always been good",
but the thing that most affects the choice of oil is the API Service
Classification.
I found a good summary of the rapid changes in oil standards here:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
As classifications change, old oil formulations become obsolete, the
appropriate oil for flat tappet engines has become pretty much the product
of specialty oil companies like Royal Purple, Driven/Joe Gibbs, Red Line,
Lucas, and Collectors Choice (Moss).

Chris