[Mgs] FW: High priced V8

Barrie Robinson barrob at bell.net
Sat Aug 17 09:19:57 MDT 2019

I built from the ground up an MGB GT V8 because they were never imported
into NA - I had the "normal" MGB GT which did not have enough grunt to
overtake lorries on the highway.   The building of a factory MGB GT V8
included the Rover 3.5L V8 with HC pistons, Webers and mild cam.(370lbs
as against 450lbs of Ford 302ci engine).   The result was enough grunt
to embarrass Porches and Mustangs as well as those rice burners.  Unlike
the Ford powered rebuilds my "factory" MGB has prefect weight
distribution so is like handling a go-kart.  It sips fuel and at highway
speed it ticks over at just over 1k rpm.   On top of this exceptionally
blessed machine it looks great.  None of this NA desire to have a BIG
car and the added body work to achieve this.   Bags of groceries etc.
room using the back trunk "door".  But only one other passenger can be
accommodated albeit not in comfort.   It is only a family of two car!

So to me the price is almost right except for that Ford engine. It would
be easier to buy this instead of going through the rebuild process.  But
why not a lighter legendary Rover V8 which could be opened  to 5L - (but
why? - 3.5 is enough!).  The 1974-plus MGBs have engine bays configured
to take the Rover engines. The other thing is that there is obviously
much deviation from the original MGB GT so that it may not excite ardent
MGB devotees.   But it does look nice................

Cheers
Barrie Robinson
Chairman
Aston Martin Feltham Club