[Mgs] Positive earth

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Aug 17 07:08:59 MDT 2019

If you do have the tach then the polarity of the 12v supply must be reversed inside the case as well (as mentioned in that article).

It mentions reversing the coil.  That isn't necessary and won't make any practical difference.  Original coils are wired internally to boost the HT using the 'auto-transformer' effect as well as connected externally to give a certain polarity of spark which jumps the gap easier.  If you reverse the coil you keep the polarity but lose some of the auto-transformer' effect.  If you don't you keep the full 'auto-transformer' effect but reverse the polarity of the spark.  Either could be significant on veteran low-voltage systems, which would make getting the correct polarity coil preferable.  But it should make no detectable difference to starting or running with HV systems such as ours.